Thursday, November 27, 2014

Dubai with Emiratis



As she merrily posted photos on Instagram announcing she was leaving London Heathrow on the next leg of her flight, fans were already consulting timetables, scouring the arrivals terminal and mapping out a plan of attack.
They started arriving at Dubai International Airport at 7pm on Monday. By 10pm, there was a crowd of about 30. By the time she finally appeared in public two hours later, the crowd had more than doubled behind a police cordon, with many spontaneously erupting into renditions of GUY and Just Dance.
Before she braved meeting her Little Monsters – many of whom were beside themselves with excitement – Lady Gaga spoke for 10 minutes in the airport’s VIP majlis about her delight at finally making it to Dubai for her concert tonight, her first in the Arabian Gulf.
Dressed in a flesh-coloured and bejewelled sheer jalabiya by an unnamed UAE designer, with a skin-­coloured leotard underneath, coupled with a blue sequinned headband and long, platinum-blonde locks, she trod a fine line between revealing and demure.
“I am here for four days,” she said. “I’d like to see as much of Dubai as possible. I have heard amazing things about it and I am really looking forward to seeing my fans. I have had a strong heartache about not being able to be near them.”

But the burning question was whether she would be getting naked on stage during a costume change, as she has done during previous shows on the ArtRAVE: ARTPOP Ball tour.
“No, I will not be,” she said. “I respect the culture here. The show will be appropriate for all the fans here in Dubai. I was told there were some restrictions. I know some artists are very strict about their policies, that they cannot adhere to their art by compromising, but I actually believe it is important to respect other cultures and not force them to adhere to the beliefs of your own country. In fact, it is a better way to connect with the ­ ­people.
“Most importantly, while I’m here, I would like to leave a message of light, happiness, creativity and freedom with the fans and that is more important than my clothes.” She added that while she was in Dubai she hoped to “support art and creativity” by visiting local fashion designers – some of whom will be involved in working on the wardrobe for her show – listening to regional music and getting a feel for the art scene in the UAE.